MacDonald Island Park
Fort McMurray's biggest playground
Whether the sun is shining bright or the snow is blanketing the landscape, MacDonald Island Park is the place to go! As the largest facility of its kind in western Canada, this full service recreation complex is a popular destination for people of all ages. It is truly Wood Buffalo's Island Playground. Key amenities include:
- Three ice rinks, including an NHL-sized ice surface with seating for 360 spectators, eight-lane curling rink, indoor skating pond
- Ten-lane olympic pool with three diving boards, four-lane training pool, water park, family whirlpool, two water slides, lazy river, leisure pool and spray park with four slides
- Steam room, sauna and whirlpool for adults
- Two indoor field houses for various organized or drop-in sports such as soccer, volleyball and basketball
- Squash and racquetball courts, indoor running track, rock climbing wall
- Fitness centre with strength and cardio equipment, free-weight room, personal trainers and child minding services
Community Art Gallery
MacDonald Island's Community Art Gallery is a no-fee exhibition space for local artists to display their work. It hosts art lessons and school/group visits to foster an appreciation for art. Community art projects aim to get anyone involved in creating a collaborative art piece that is displayed in the gallery.
Fort McMurray Public Library
The Fort McMurray Public Library features a wide array of resources to the public, from books, magazines and video to Internet access and photocopiers. The library provides programs for all ages such as book clubs for children and adults, social clubs and English as a Second Language conversation groups. Private and meeting rooms are available to enable groups to work together without disturbing patrons in quiet areas of the library.
Miskanaw Golf Club
The Miskanaw Golf Club features a beautiful 18-hole course, which is currently being expanded and improved. The golf club also houses a golf simulator, which can take you to scenic courses around North America and the world, in a variety of styles to play in. You can even take lessons to improve your game!
- For a complete guide, visit the MacDonald Island Park website.